A 35mm Print of a Feature Film can cost anywhere from $2000-20,000, the workflow to create restored internegatives can cost many times that.
CAMERA ORIGINAL>>>ANSWER PRINT & SUBSEQUENT RELEASE PRINTS
CAMERA ORIGINAL>>>INTERPOSITIVE>>>INTERNEGATIVE>>>RELEASE PRINT
CAMERA ORIGINAL>>>DIGITAL INTERMEDIATE>>>INTERNEGATIVE>>>RELEASE PRINT
DIGITAL MASTER>>>INTERNEGATIVE>>>RELEASE PRINT
DIGITAL MASTER or DIGITAL INTERNEGATIVE >>>“DIRECT PRINT”
- IB Technicolor
- Timed answer prints from the original camera negative
- Reversal prints (stock no longer manufactured, 16mm only)
- Prints with magnetic soundtracks
- Discontinued stocks such as Kodak 2393, Fuji, Orwocolor
- Prints with no protection elements. There may not be a financial incentive for a studio to strike a new print if one is damaged or destroyed.
Only a handful of labs left in the world printing and processing motion picture film. Only one lab in the US doing laser subtitles